>> Friday, August 14, 2009
- Chicken - 1 kg
- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Water - 5 cups
- Corrainder leaves - 1 bunch
- Mint leaves - 1/2 bunch
- Green chillies - 12 to 13 nos
- Cinnamon stick - 2 nos
- Cardamom - 5 nos
- Cloves - 6
- Black cumin seeds (shahi jeera) - 2 tsp
- Bay leaf - 2 nos
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tbsp
- Fried onions - 1 cup (Deep fry the sliced onions in the oil)
- Chilly powder - 2 tsp (as per ur spice level)
- Corrainder powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Saffron strands (soaked in 3 tbsp of water) - I replaced it with red food color
- Ghee (clarified butter) - 3 tbsp
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Aluminum foil to cover the pan.
Directions to cook :
# Soak the rice in water for half an hour. Keep aside.
# Finely chop the corrainder leaves & mint leaves.
# Heat 1/2 tsp of oil in the pan, add 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cardamons, 3 cloves, mace, 1 bay leaf & 1 tsp black cumin seeds. Keep aside.
# Marinade the chicken pieces in the fried seasonings, lime juice, 1/2 qty of chopped corrainder leaves, mint leaves, green chillies, ginger garlic paste,turmeric powder, 1/2 cup fried onions, chilly powder, corrainder powder, cumin powder & salt to taste for atleast 2 hrs preferebly overnight.
# Boil 5 cups of water in a pan, add the remaining cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, black cumin seeds, bay leaf, salt & cook the rice till half done. Remove & drain the water. Keep aside.
# Pour the oil & ghee in the non-stick pan, spoon in the marinated chicken as the first layer & then the cooked rice as the second layer. Finally, spread the remaining fried onions, corriander leaves, mint leaves & the dissolved saffron.
# Cover the pan tightly with the aluminum foil. Cover & cook for 10 min on medium heat and then on slow heat for 30 mins.
# Remove from heat and stand with lid covered for approx 10 min.
serve warm with raita.