>> Sunday, September 5, 2010
Different varieties of sundals are normally prepared during navarathiri season. Any kind of bean seeds can be used though chickpeas is most commonly preferred. Very rich in protein, fiber & perfect for hungry kids returning from school. I like to add some cut raw mangos during the season. It taste simply delicious!!!
- Chick peas - 1 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp (or oil)
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- A pinch of hing
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 tbsp
- Red chillies - 4 to 5 nos
- Onion - 1/2 no
- Chilly powder - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Coconut (cut into tiny pieces) - 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
Direction to Cook :
1. Wash & soak the chick peas, overnight. Pressure cook the soaked chick peas in the salted water till done.
2. Heat ghee/oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, hing, cumin seeds, curry leaves, red chillies and finely chopped onion. Saute till tender.
3. Add turmeric powder & chilly powder. Saute for 2 more mins.
4. Drain the water from the cooked chick peas & add it to the onion mixture.
5. Finally, add the coconut pieces. Stir for 3 more mins on medium flame. Adjust the salt.
Ready to serve.