>> Thursday, July 29, 2010
Simple & spicy curry made with smashed potatoes often served with dosa, chapathi or poori. Any leftovers can be used as a stuffing inside the samosa or as the breakfast sandwiches. Potato masala occupies the most prominent role in the south indian breakfast menus at home, hotel & in celebrations. Its been little long time wish for my DH to serve him complete breakfast like dosa, potato masala, chutneys, sambar & vada for any weekends. Hope I bring his dreams true shortly :)
- Potato - 2 large sized
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Channa dal - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Finely chopped ginger - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 3 to 4 nos
- Curry leaves - 1 tbsp
- Onion - 2 nos
- Tomato - 1/2
- Green peas (or) carrot - little less than 1/4 cup (optional)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Cashewnuts (roasted) - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Corriander leaves for garnishing
Direction to cook :
1. Boil, peel & smash the potatoes. Add salt & chilly powder (optional) and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in the pan, add channa dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chillies, chopped ginger & onions. Saute till tender.
3. Add green peas (or) carrot & turmeric powder. Cook till done.
4. Add tomato & smashed potatoes. Adjust the salt. Cook for 5 mins on low-medium flame.
5. Garnish with corriander leaves & roasted cashewnuts.